A Variety of Activities and Opportunities
A school is, of course, much more than its academic programme and results. Thus, at St Gerard's, there are opportunities to take part in various school activities which not only complement academic development but also enable other interests and talents to flourish.
Regular extra-curricular activities take place in sports, English, drama, geography and music.
Pupils have access to:
- visits and fieldwork to enhance classroom studies
- opportunities for reflection and spiritual growth
- opportunities for service and the exercise of responsibility
- a variety of sports' teams in competition with other schools; also inter-house competitions
- specialist facilities at the University of Bangor to enhance both the PE programme and team training
- theatre visits and concerts, both local and further afield
- orchestra, choir, drama club and instrumental tuition by private arrangement with peripatetic staff
- visits to national and international sports' competitions
The junior school organises stimulating and worthwhile trips in each year group. Whilst we aim to fit the trips into the curriculum area being taught at the time, it is not always possible.
Recent junior school trips include visits to Oriel Ynys Mon (Llangefni), The National Slate Museum (Llanberis) as well as our local library and post office.
The junior and senior schools also invite speakers into school to talk with the pupils about important issues. At the junior school this includes police constables and subjects specialists for the STEM activities. At the senior school this can include experts in preparation for Duke of Edinburgh expeditions, local artists to work with students and speakers associated with our school charity.
The senior school also aims to provide opportunities for pupils to travel abroad.
Recent trips include:
Art & French in Paris, France (upcoming - 2017)
Ski Trip, Tignes, France (2015)